MY FUTURE PLAN
This Blog Assignment will take you through a process of exploring careers and colleges using the Internet. It is designed to develop skills required for researching potential career field of studies (majors) and colleges. This is only the beginning of your exploration and a fun simulation to help you start thinking of your future!
You are a 6th grader looking forward to the day you can enroll at Elizabeth Torronez Middle School, but before you can register for classes, you must choose a career – an area in which to focus your middle school studies. Your mind goes crazy. What do you want to be when you grow up? Do you want to be .....
In this assignment, you will explore a variety of careers based on your personal interests and choose a career that meet your interests. This will help you select your major in college so you know what college you may consider. Ultimately, this will helps you write a blog post describing the path you should take to reach your goal.
Here is the prompt:
(Think about this prompt as you completed the mini tasks.)
What is your future career goal? Why do you think this career suited you? How would you go about attaining it? Describe the process you would need to follow to be able to attain this goal; be sure to include possible majors, colleges or universities and job choices.
1. Take the following career quiz. Princeton Review's Career Quiz
**Print your results to help you answer the "College Choice Worksheet".
**Download this "College Choice Worksheet" to your desktop to complete.college_choice_worksheet.pdf
2. Go to "What can I do with a major in …?" and explore related careers:
What Can I Do With A Major In....?
3. Using the United States Department of Labor online Occupational Outlook Handbook search and explore your possible careers.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
1. Use this college search engine and search for colleges that offer majors related to your careers. College Board's College Search
Or My Major Website.
***List five (5) colleges that offer the majors (for the careers) you are interested in.
2. Go to the College Board College Side-by-Side Comparison Work Sheet and compare the five(5) colleges you have listed. (print)
Note: This means you will do 2 comparisons with 3 different colleges each time. PRINT BOTH COMPARISONS OUT. Then write 1-5 on the colleges so you know which is college 1, college 2, etc.
College Side-by-Side Comparison Work Sheet
A video to get your mind warm up
Soooooo You Want to be a YouTuber?
Career in Elementary School Teaching
1. Use the College Guide Wizard to find each school. You will need to look back at their location to find them on this site. Go to each of your selected college's homepages and thoroughly explore their websites. College Guide Search
2. Take a virtual tour of each campus. What one (1) thing interests you the most about each? And why?